Funding for Workplace Adaptations via Access to Work

The Access to Work Scheme

Did you know that there is government money available for workplaces to make them disabled friendly? Free money available from the Access to Work Scheme – a government-funded organisation.

Many employers don’t realise they can claim money for workplace adaptations. Big expensive things such as wheelchair ramps, from the government via the Access to Work (ATW) service. And you are likely to get it when you hire people with disabilities. Or maybe you need to adapt the workplace when someone has an illness resulting in permanent disability?  

This is especially good news for employers with less than 10 staff who can contact the Access to Work service and receive 100% of the costs of equipment/adjustments.

How Much Can You Claim

There is a scale of free money depending on the size of the business:

  • For employers with 10 to 49 staff – the employer will have to pay the first £300 and access to work can then pay up to 80% of the costs up to £10,000 although this is likely to change this year
  • Employers with 50 to 249 staff – the employer will have to pay the first £500 and access to work can then pay up to 80% of the costs up to £10,000
  • Large employers with 250 or more staff – the employer will have to pay the first £1,000 and access to work can then pay up to 80% of the costs up to £10,000, access to work would normally cover all other costs over £10,000.

There are some items not covered by ATW and this is usually equipment that is a normal part of working e.g. screens, computers.

Great news too if you have new employees as they can claim for Access to Work during the first six weeks of working in a new post and Access to Work will pay 100% of all approved costs.

It’s important that if anyone is in need of help in work, they contact Access to Work as soon as possible.  If you have an occupational health service they will work with the employee to make sure that this happens.

Workers will get up to 100% of all approved costs for adaptations if they are:

  • Currently unemployed and starting a new job
  • Working for an employer and been in the job for less than six weeks
  • Self-employed

But these figures may change annually.

Help available for people with mental health conditions

Remploy is the sole provider of the mental health support service for Access to Work. The service provides a range of support for people with mental health conditions for six months and includes:

  • Work focused mental health support tailored to each person
  • Assessment of persons needs to find coping strategies
  • Personalised support plan, detailing the steps needed to stay in, or return to work
  • Advice and guidance to enable employers to fully understand mental health and how they can support employees who have a mental health condition
  • Identifying reasonable adjustments within the workplace or within the confines of the working practice
4 pictograms of those with disabilities, a wheelchair user, brain injury and strokes, signing for the hard of hearing and blindness
Government Funding for workplaces

Contacts – How To Claim Access to Work Help

The employee should contact the centres below by telephone, textphone, fax, email or by post. Note that there are no walk-in facilities, these are postal addresses only:

London for:

  • South East England
  • London
  • East of England

Jobcentre Plus Access to Work Operational Support Unit Nine Elms Lane London  SW95 9BH Telephone: 020 8426 3110 Textphone: 020 8426 3133 Fax: 020 8426 3134


Cardiff for:

  • South West England
  • Wales
  • West Midlands
  • East Midlands

Jobcentre Plus Access to Work Operational Support Unit Alexandra House 377 Cowbridge Road East Cardiff  CF5 1WU Telephone: 02920 423 291 Textphone: 02920 644 886 Fax: 02920 423 342


Glasgow for:

  • Scotland
  • North West England
  • North East England
  • Yorkshire and Humberside

Jobcentre Plus Access to Work Operational Support Unit Anniesland JCP Baird Street Glasgow  G90 8AN Telephone: 0141 950 5327 Textphone: 0845 6025850 Fax: 0141 950 5265


Northern Ireland Disablement Advisory Service  5th Floor  Gloucester House  Chichester Street  Belfast  BT1 4RA Telephone: 02890 252317  Textphone: 02890 252213 Fax: 02890 252330


You can contact your local Jobcentre or Jobcentre Plus office and ask to talk to an access to work adviser or a Disability Employment Adviser (DEA) for advice and an application form.

Access to Work funding is available for up to three years then reviewed again to assess whether the funding continues.

More information is available at For information about the scheme in Northern Ireland on the NI website at

Author’s Opinion:

Occupational Health services often refer people to the Access to Work services and responses tend to vary, depending on the type of support/illness and the skills of the particular adviser. 

Some examples of help that Access to Work provided are:

  • Payment for taxi’s to work
  • A reader for the sight impaired
  • Assessments for dyslexia
  • Voice activated software for computer
  • Ramps for wheelchairs
  • Communicator for interviews
  • A support worker

Many people are eligible for this type of help yet it is not widely publicised.  Employers too would be much more interested in meeting the terms of the Equality Act 2010 if they knew that this financial help was available.

Further Reading and Advice


Subscribe to my monthly newsletter to read about other occupational health and safety benefits for employers and employees

Share Post :

More Posts

Leave a Reply